Assists in the daily operational processes that are required to
effectively and efficiently deliver high quality services.This
includes helping guide individual projects by coordinating with sales,
development, and the service delivery team. A successful candidate
must have strong communication skills and be a proven problem solver.
Internally, this person must help create a work environment that
engenders positive energy, creativity, and teamwork among employees.
• Help ensure timely delivery of projects to clients.
• Project logistics
• Customer relations skills
• Assist in providing clear communication to clients & co-workers
throughout the project.
• Help coordinate and run the Knome analysis pipeline.
• Adhere to technical standards, policies, and procedures.
• Must have superior organizational skills.
• Can communicate clearly and effectively with both clients and fellow
• Holds strong industry knowledge and understanding of sequencing
• Proficient in both Linux and Windows environments.
• Data management and scripting skills are a plus, especially
experience with Perl, Python, or SQL.
• BA/BS/MS in Business Management, Bioinformatics, Computational
Biology, or related field.
Desktop Applications Developer (Java)
Knome, Inc. is a trail-blazing human genome sequence analysis company
based in Cambridge, MA. Co-founded by George Church, Knome is the
first company to provide whole-genome analysis services to both
researchers and consumers, and works with leading scientists from
Harvard, MIT, and elsewhere to spark discoveries at the nexus of
genomics and human health.
Knome analyzes human genomes sequences and delivers actionable
insights to academic and commercial researchers. Knome has created the
Knome Genome Analysis Platform (kGAP) to support its sequence analysis
service. kGAP is an integrated system of third-party and proprietary
software and data.
Knome is seeking a software engineer who is customer-focused and
quality-driven to lead a small team of talented, high-energy
developers that creates groundbreaking tools for personal genomic
analysis and visualization. This individual must have solid software
design and programming skills that span all layers of stand-alone,
desktop applications and be passionately committed to developing
intuitive, user-focused visualization applications.
Responsibilities (Note: Specific assignments will vary for each
• Designing, developing, extending, and maintaining user-focused
desktop applications that allow consumers and researchers to explore
• Collaborating with Knome scientists and operations personnel to
deliver high-value, high-quality products on-time and on-budget.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, Experience, and Other Characteristics
• Computer science degree or equivalent work experience
• 5+ years of Java, experience with Swing
• 5+ years of SQL, including query performance tuning
• Someone who has built multiple releases of a GUI application,
preferably in Java Swing
• Working familiarity with Windows, Mac OS, and Linux
• Bioinformatics, genomic analysis, or biology background is
preferred, but not required
This is a full-time position located in Cambridge, MA.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, with opportunities
for an equity stake in an early-stage company.